Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Stashes

Help me understand these quilters who keep track of how much fabric is in their stash... How much they use up, etc.

When did it become a sin to have a great stash of fabric?  If you have the space for it & if you use it to sew with, then what's the problem?

I keep seeing many of my fellow quilters obsessing about their stash.  Making sure more is going out than is coming in...  Guilt-ridden when they see something they want and have to have it...

Life is short!  I'm all for living within your means and all that, but let's nix the guilt tips.  Let's spend the time we would've been using calculating how much fabric is waiting to be used up actually sewing, instead!

Anybody with me?

5 comments:

Becky said...

I decided to track my stash this year. Last year I spent and spent and didn't really feel like I used much out of my stash. My intention is just to get a better handle on how much I really use during the year and how much I spend. I do love having a huge stash because I can always run and grab another piece of fabric if I miscut or miscalculate.

Anonymous said...

For me, I want to get a grip on using what I have...so I agree...I need to just sew more. I think less time online, seeing everyone's great fabrics, will help me not to "WANT" what they have and hence alleviate the need for me to keep tabs on my stash. =)

Staci said...

I agree! Sew On!
but I have decided that when I start a new project or need a backing I'm going to look at what I already have instead of going out to find something new. It's my way of controling my spending...

Mary Anne said...

I plan to track my stash too...but not because I feel guilty...at least that's not the only reason! The majority of the quilts that I make are sent off as gifts...and I never see them again. Sure, I take a picture for the record, but I don't have the same feeling of accomplishment. Maybe having a number to show how much fabric went out will help me feel more productive.

Then again, maybe not...but it won't hurt to try!

Mary Anne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.