Sunday, May 15, 2011

Pretty Little Pouch Swap... Finished!

So I have been procrastinating my Pretty Little Pouch item. When I signed up, I envisioned a little pouch, meaning maybe 5 inches or less. My partner wanted something larger and was pretty specific about what she wanted to use her pouch for. Also, my partner has a love for Japanese fabric and most Japanese fabric doesn't really appeal to me, PLUS it's crazy expensive. I big the bullet and drove out to Sarah's a few weeks ago. Bought a half yard of this fun print and some shot cotton for the lining. It took some time to get enough courage to cut into this fabric.

I've never made anything like this and was really intimidated by the prospect of making a boxy bag. I found a great tutorial on the Plaid Scottie's blog. Around step 13 or so, I was confused for a bit, but was able to figure out where I'd gone wrong and I didn't have to start all over. I was amazed that I was able to complete this on my first attempt!

If I had it to do over again, I'd use a heavier interfacing. I used what I had since I'd already spent so much on fabric. It doesn't hold it's boxy shape as well as it would have if I'd gotten stiffer interfacing.

I'll make more of these in the future. They'd be fun to give to my sisters and brother-in-laws to hold some toiletries or jewelry or chocolates or card games or little bottles of tequila, depending on the recipient... ;)

But I've decided to back off on the swaps for a while. I'm in 3 bees, which is a manageable amount for me. One of the bees will be over this summer, so I'm going to step away and just have 2 bees. I really am enjoying the remaining two bees (The Lovely Linen Bee and the KC Scrappy Bee).

I'm going to try very hard to work on my UFOs and buy less fabric. I have a nice stash and should be able to create some beautiful things with what I have on hand.

I'm also going to start using some thrifted or repurposed items to make bags and other gifts. I think this will give them more charm, don't you?

3 comments:

Lauren said...

Oh, it's so cute! Good job, especially on the zipper. Sometimes it's hard to understand written instructions for three-dimensional items, but if you think about it and persevere, you can usually figure it out.

Unknown said...

Thanks! Zippers are tricky sometimes, but this tutorial is a great one. There are a couple of tricks they suggest to help make them look nice and polished. I'm getting better each time I try.

felicity said...

Love the pouch! I'm with you on backing off swaps etc. My 3 bees are more than enough for now. I want to sew for ME! :)