Monday, May 16, 2011

Etsy

I've decided to make some things to sell in an Etsy shop. It will be a good way to clear out some of the fabric I've been collecting (hoarding) plus I can use profits to save up for new machines. I want to buy a featherweight in the next 2-3 months. Down the road, I'll want a nicer Bernina...

I started a couple of projects tonight that will either go in my shop or be given as baby gifts. I have a decent collection of charm squares, so I've started with them. On the left, I've paired up a hoot charm pack with a moda Bella solid pack. I think I got these almost a year ago. Fun to have a whole collection, but in retrospect, hoot isn't my favorite line. It will make a nice sized baby quilt or perhaps a throw.

On the right side, I'm using my polka dotted charm square stash. I have a lot more squares, so I'm toying with the notion of making a larger scrappy quilt. I used some kona snow that was in my stash to go with it & calm it down a bit. I thought about sashing, but I think I like it better without it.

I'm probably going to take on a couple of commissions that have come my way, too.






What sorts of things do you think would sell in an Etsy shop? Bags? Pouches? Bibs? Burp cloths? I am also toying with the notion of cloth diapers. I'd love more ideas...



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

4 comments:

Skooks said...

To be honest, everything sells in an etsy shop (good marketing helps too!) . . . the key (I think) is to make something YOU love to make. I think it shows through in the presentation at the end. :)

Skooks said...

Oh . . . and if you care about staying within the law, I'd avoid making kid's items . . . too much red tape at this moment.

Anonymous said...

I found there were too many bags on etsy...personal experience, but you can always try. Photos are Key, as well as renewing...it's a lot of work keeping your items up in the search...but having unique items is a bonus! Can't wait to see your creations. =)

Caitlin said...

You can find just about anything for sale on Etsy, but I think the trick is to find some way to make yours more enticing than the others. If you get an idea to make a specific item, research it. Search other Etsy shops that sell that item or something similar. Make sure your prices are competitive. If you don't feel like you could sell your item for that price (too low), then I wouldn't waste your time making it.

Oh, and its a big personal thing for me, but I make it a point to get back to my customers with questions ASAP! Nothing bugs me more than people who have items for sale, but they don't provide enough info about the item, and also don't return emails.