Sunday, May 15, 2011

Ms. Mary's UFO


Basting & tying, originally uploaded by nkiblueeyes.

These blocks were pieced by Mary, who is an elderly long-time friend of my family. They have been sitting collecting dust for many years. I rescued them recently when I went to visit Mary, who has been ill for several months. I promised her I'd return them to her this summer in a completed quilt. The red border is fabric she bought on a trip to Cairo, Egypt many years ago and the backing is a really nice wool she bought in Oregon. I'm going to bind it with some great black wool. Instead of quilting it, I've started tying it with perle cotton #8. It's going pretty quickly! I'm hopeful that I can finish it in time to take it for show and tell this Thursday night at the KC Modern Quilt Guild meeting. Tomorrow I'll have a couple of hours to kill while taking one of my kiddos to an appointment. Maybe I can make a lot of headway with tying it tomorrow. I still have to cut, piece and iron the binding, but I'm really motivated to get it finished. I'd love to ship it to her in the next week. She would be so surprised because I told her I'd bring it when I come to visit in June. Hopefully having this luxurious quilt to snuggle under will help her recuperate more quickly. She is a lovely lady and I know she will enjoy having this UFO marked off of her list.

2 comments:

Jodi said...

Nikki, what a gorgeous quilt, and you're a gorgeous woman for accomplishing this for her and sending it quickly! Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Such a sweet thing for you to say. :) I made some progress today on it, but tomorrow I'm going to hit it hard. No plans to go anywhere, so I'm going to garden and sew. Sounds like a perfect day, right?!?