Thursday, September 16, 2010

These Will Be a Quilt Made of 54 Six Inch Butterflies


These will be butterflies, originally uploaded by nkiblueeyes.
I'm making two baby quilts and I have another set of all of these fabrics already cut out. One quilt is for my best friend who is due with a sweet baby girl in January and one for my cousin who isn't sure yet if she will have a boy or girl in April or May. I'm voting for her to have a girl.

Here's the tutorial I'm using:
mrsschmenkmanquilts.wordpress.com/2010/06/03/butterfly-bl...

I used this to make a few blocks for Toni in my KC Scrappy Bee and to make a table runner for my Urban Home Goods Swap and fell in love with the process and the results! You should try it too...

Saturday, I'm going to Sarah's to buy fabric to go with these. I need to find one fabric to be the body of each butterfly and another fabric to be the background around each butterfly. The fabrics pictured above are going to be the wings. There are two of each of the rectangles above.

Whatever I buy needs to be calm and NOT busy. I'm thinking maybe a chocolate brown and a slightly lighter brown? Thought about gray, but I'm afraid it will wash things out. Green might be a nice background but it'd have to be the perfect shade... I'm not sure.

What do you think, my friends?

1 comment:

Caitlin said...

What about chocolate brown for the background, and a brighter body color, like yellow??