Wednesday, September 01, 2010

New Quilt for Potential Nephew

Did I mention to you that my littlest sister, Katie is pregnant?  She's 24 (almost) and this will be her first baby.  I think it's a boy.  He/she's not due until April or May so I have some time...  But I'm planning to make 3 quilts.  Initially, I'll make a girl one (haven't started it yet) and a boy one (so excited about this one) and one that would be fine for either (Batik quilt-Christmas gift)... and then she can have two of the three

She likes subdued colors... So I'm thinking solids... I started the most FUN quilt for her today.  Very out of the box for me... but I'm finding that I'm stepping more and more into a new style these days.  I am not going to post a picture of this quilt until I have a few blocks completed.  Should take me about 30 more minutes of sewing to get that far, but alas, I ran out of sewing time today and tomorrow morning is pretty packed.  Having friends/kids over to play and have lunch... might need a nap afterwards...  Obviously, I'm not going to get a very good night's sleep tonight, since it's 11:14 now...

Let me tell you a bit about this quilt.  It's a wonky log cabin.  I picked Moda solids.  About 9 or 10 fat quarters.  I arranged them from lightest to darkest.  I'm envisioning the darkest color fabric in the center of the block and the colors gradually getting lighter as they go out from the center.  Lots of browns/grays and a little green/blue...

If you know me, you know that using solids is a relatively new thing with me.  I didn't have ANY in my stash when I joined the KC Modern Quilt Guild a few months back.  I've made some progress in remedying that problem since then...  :D

So I'll do what I can to show you guys some progress with this quilt tomorrow.  Katie, if you're reading this, you'll ruin your surprise if you're not careful...

No comments: