Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Quilts for the Homeless

At Starlight guild last night, I got a packet of pre-cut squares of denim (I think about 8 inches) that I'll sew together so that we can make a sleeping bag for the homeless.

So often, we get busy making cute (and expensive) quilts for people who don't really need them.  I know I'm very guilty of that.

I'm looking forward to helping make something that will truly be needed, used and appreciated.  Winters in Kansas are mighty tough.  When I heard about this project, my ears perked right up.  Homelessness is really a problem that makes no sense to me.  In a country this wealthy, I can't see why this problem still exists.  We need to do a better job of taking care of the mentally ill, of people who have addictions, of people who are born into poverty and of people who find themselves in situational poverty.

It's so easy to sit in our air conditioned homes in the suburbs and have judgemental thoughts about why people find themselves homeless, but why not take some action?  Just a little time on my part can make someone's winter MUCH more tolerable.  It might make someone realize that they are valued and that people care.

This is just one way I'm trying to be the change I want to see in the world.

Here is a link for some ideas if you're inclined to help.  We don't want to make them pretty or fancy because we don't want them to be stolen.  If you have jeans that you'd like to donate or if you'd like to sew some denim together, please let me know and I'll get you in contact with the people who are heading this up.  Thanks!

No comments: