I haven't been idle...
In Lawrence, Kaw Valley invited us to have a Quilts of Valor booth. Here's a picture of me & my good buddy, Shirley. She cranks out Quilts of Valor like a woman possessed. Seriously. She and her sewing group are prolific and generous. I've become a far better quilter just by being in her company & will always be grateful for having known her.
Here's me with Tammy & crew from Marmalade Fabrics. Tammy lives dangerously near me (less than a mile, people) and she has all of this beautiful fabric in her home. For this show, she brought it all to sell. Check out the stack of solids I got! And the vintage sewing box! Five BUCKS for that sewing box. SCORE!
I put those fabrics with some other blue and orange solids I've been
hoarding collecting and I think they make a lovely palette. These will be used to make a robot for Owen. Not sure yet what pattern (if any) I will use, though.
Next on my sewing to do list was to make a weighted blanket for Wyatt. They say that children with Autism and Sensory Processing Disorder sometimes sleep more soundly & are comforted by weighted blankets. I used poly fil beads that I found at Michaels next to the batting. This was a first attempt. It's a little bigger than a placemat & I plan to try using it to keep him at the dinner table by using it in his lap. He is "sensory seeking", so the added weight is a little like a hug to him. Gives him sensory input & makes him feel calmer. At least that's the theory. I used 1 or 2 Tbsp poly fill beads per 3 inch area. Turned out ok.
Next up, I used a quilt top that I'd made with 2 charm packs (I might've added a few squares... Cannot recall). This has been in my WIP pile for some time now. I used a sheet that I thrifted a while back for the backing & sewed it right sides together like a pillowcase. Then I turned it right sides out, top stitched around 3 sides & sewed shafts in the ditch along the lines vertically. As I filled the shafts with 1 Tbsp poly fil beads, I sewed horizontally in the ditch to seal off each row. I hope my description is clear... Each 5 inch square has 1 Tbsp of poly fil beads & is sewn shut like a bean bag. I broke several needles, so go slowly if you make one of these. Slow sewing isn't something I'm accustomed to.
I wish I could say that Wyatt likes his new blanket, but that wouldn't be accurate. When I get him to fall asleep each night, I cover him with it. I really do think it's made a difference. When he gets restless in the night, the weight of the quilt seems to comfort him.
This is a quilt that I'm working on from a tutorial by Ali in the Lovely Linen Bee. The blocks were made by myself and my bee mates in the KC Scrappy Bee. I am not sure if it's finished or not. I would like to add a row on each side to make it larger, but I'm out of white flannel for now. We shall see. At the least, it will need a dark border.
Here I am quilting a lap quilt for a veteran. It's not a Quilt of Valor because it's smaller than their required minimum size, but it will be a comfort to someone who is wheelchair bound as they recover. My friend, Pam made the top, but I worked a little in the ditch to get it quilted. Sharon is binding it. We really have a great team.
Additionally I went to a retreat last weekend and finished THREE tops! Yay! Unfortunately, I don't have those pics on my camera just yet. Will post again soon. Thanks for reading!