Friday, February 26, 2010

All Work And No Play...

I spent a couple hours upstairs today during nap time and then a couple more tonight after I got the kiddos to sleep...

Made some good progress on my attic closet...

My stash of scraps and fat quarters have been sorted by color and put into big baggies on a shelf...


I'm starting to put things into labeled shoeboxes (glue guns/glue sticks, staple gun, etc.)...


And I sorted through organizing bobbins, needles, thimbles, thread, pencils/pens, and sewing machine parts...


I even took the time to do a couple of projects that I've been meaning to get around to...

I was on a yo-yo kick for a while, there.  Made lots of them with my 30's stash.  They'd been hanging on my wall in a very haphazard fashion for a couple of years, reminding me every time I walked by that it was another unfinished project... So I stapled them onto a big canvas I had and *PRESTO*... Instant ART for my sewing room!

About 15 years ago, my great grandmother died.  Here's a picture of Grandma Nell...


At the time, I hadn't started quilting yet.  She was a quilter, though.  We have many heirloom quilts that she crafted over the years.  I went to Arkansas to help my grandmother and my father and aunt go through all of the things that she had accumulated over her lifetime.  This was a huge job because she was a bit of a hoarder...  Not so much in a messy fashion, but in an organized way.  She had lots and lots of things that were auctioned off.  I collected a few things to keep as mementos of her and thankfully, one thing I got was a big grocery sack of her quilting notions, templates and materials.  In this bag, I found some cut-out flowers.  I imagine she'd planned on appliqueing them at some point, but never got around to it...  I've been trying to think about what I could make with them to give to my aunt, sister and cousin to remember her by...  And I decided that they'd make cute lapel pins...  What do you think?

They are reversible.

Here is the one I'm keeping for me. :)  I love blue, you see...


I used antique buttons from my mother's button collection.  I'm thinking we'll use safety pins to put them on.  I'm pretty pleased with myself.

Tomorrow is Saturday, so maybe I can score some extra time to work upstairs...  Would love to get a couple of trash bags worth of stuff out of there...  Stay tuned!

No comments: